How to Modify Visitation Orders in California

How to Modify Visitation Orders in California

April 24, 2019

Once a judge makes a custody or visitation order, it is likely that parents will want to change their visitation orders. In most cases, parents will want to modify their visitation orders because the child is getting older, a parent has to move for work, or a parent has a new home. Regardless of the reason, there are certain things a parent must prove to modify their visitation orders.

The things you’ll need to prove include:

  • Proving that there has been a change in circumstances that requires changing the order
  • Proving that modification would be in the best interests of your child
  • Proving that you attempted mediation if the modification is contested.

Steps to Change Custody & Visitation Orders

To ask for a court order, there are specific steps you need to take to successfully make changes to your custody or visitation orders, beginning with filling out court forms.You have to fill out a Request for Order (Form FL-300). You can also fill out the Child Custody and Visitation (Parenting Time) Application Attachment (Form FL-311). It contains details about schedules for visits, holidays, and other details that can help you as you try to prepare a new parenting plan that is best for your children.

You’ll also need to do the following:

  1. Have an attorney review your forms: An attorney can also provide you legal advice and guide you through this entire process.
  2. File your forms with the court clerk: The clerk will keep the original for the court and return the 2 copies to you, stamped “Filed.”
  3. Serve papers to other parent: The other parent must get a copy of your papers and a blank copy of Responsive Declaration to Request for Order (Form FL-320) at least 16 days before your court date.
  4. File a proof of service: Have your server fill out a Proof of Personal Service (Form FL-330) and give it to you so you can file it with the court. It is vital to file this correctly.

Experienced Riverside Child Custody Attorney

If you need legal assistance modifying your visitation plan, our Riverside family law attorneys are ready to help you. Our firm utilizes our experience with local judges and courts to help clients navigate the legal system. We take an aggressive approach to each case, fighting for the results your family deserves as quickly as possible so as to minimize your costs and stress. Don’t hesitate to contact our experienced family law attorneys today!

Contact our Riverside child custody lawyers today for a consultation at (888) 251-9618!


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© Copyrights 2024 Edgar & Dow. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy
Digital Marketing by rizeup-logo