Child Support
When Can I Change My Child Support? Modifying Child Support

When Can I Change My Child Support? Modifying Child Support

May 10, 2013

A parent who does not pay child support could face serious penalties, including jail time. If you are unable to pay the full amount of child support each month, you should seek a modification to prevent the penalties associated with non-payment. In addition to modifications to decrease obligations, we can also help parents seek a modification to increase child support payments. An increase in child support may be sought if the child’s needs change significantly, or if the parent providing support has an increase in income.

For more information, please contact an attorney who can explain your rights and options in modifying child support.

We are asked this question frequently – When Can I change my child support? Child support is calculated using a computer program, either DissoMaster or XSpouse, most courtrooms are using XSpouse. This computer program takes many variables into account when doing the calculation, however, the main two components are the percentage of time you have custodial time (timeshare) with the children and your respective incomes. The variables can be many when putting the information into the computer. You should contact attorney Edgar & Dow for a free initial consultation to determine if the child support payments are appropriate, either higher or lower.

To answer the question, technically, you need to have a “change of circumstances” in order to modify the child support. There are many things that can be considered a change in circumstances. For example, if you are spending more or less time with the children and the timseshare has changed. If your income has changed, either up or down. If you have fluctuating or seasonal income you might be able to modify your child support obligation. When you come into our office for your free initial consultation, bring your paycheck stubs, last years tax return and the previous calculation if you have it. We have the same computer program that the court use and can run the numbers to see if a modification is appropriate. Modifying child support can be a difficult task and it is important to talk to an experienced family law attorney.

If you have questions about modifying child support, please contact our office.


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© Copyrights 2024 Edgar & Dow. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy
Digital Marketing by rizeup-logo