Child Support
How Do I Enforce a Child Support Order?

How Do I Enforce a Child Support Order?

February 20, 2019

A child support order is a legal obligation, and there are serious penalties if the non-custodial parent fails to pay. If your former spouse isn’t paying you the child support that was legally ordered, the law will enforce the court order and compel the non-custodial parent to pay. At the Edgar & Dow, our number one goal is to protect you and your family’s rights. Our child support attorneys have been practicing family law for over 20 years, and our approach has always been crafted to meet our client’s specific needs.

Contact our team of experienced attorneys today, and we will help you obtain the best outcome possible for your case: (888) 251-9618!

What to Do If the Other Parent Doesn’t Pay Custody

Talk with an attorney to get help. Beyond getting justice for missing child support payments, your attorney’s goal is to get back payments for everything the other parent owes. For non-working or low-income parents, these back payments could mean the difference between financial ruin and stability.

If the other parent fails to pay child support, there are several ways to enforce the order:

  • Contact your local police department and ask them to enforce the order
  • Contact the district attorney in your county. Look for the Child Abduction and Recovery Unit.
  • File an action for “contempt” with the court.*

* In contempt actions, you ask the court to enforce the order and make a finding that the other parent willfully disobeyed the court order.

Federal Law & Child Support Enforcement

Parents who refuse to pay child support are subject to federal prosecution if their child lives out of state, if they’re missing payments exceeding $5,000 total, or the payment is past due for over a year. This type of violation is considered a criminal misdemeanor, so the offender can face fines and even up to 6 months in prison if convicted.

Contact Experienced Riverside Child Support Attorneys!

At the Edgar & Dow, our core values are to give you honest legal representation while upholding your rights with the utmost integrity. Not getting child support makes it difficult to provide for your child alone, which is why our child support lawyers are determined to obtain a resolution to your case as quickly as possible. The team at the Edgar & Dow are dedicated to guiding you through whatever difficulty you may be facing.

Contact us today at (888) 251-9618 to learn how our divorce attorneys can assist you!


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

© Copyrights 2024 Edgar & Dow. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy
Digital Marketing by rizeup-logo