Can A Party Stop A Divorce?

If one party files for a dissolution of marriage, the other party can not stop it unless there is a mutual agreement for the case to be dismissed. One party can not stop the other party from proceeding with the divorce. Many people commonly think say “my spouse will not agree with the divorce.” However, the spouse does not have to agree to it. They spouse does not have to agree to be served or accept the papers, there is nothing to sign. The other spouse gets served and the divorce process will start. The Respondent will have 30 days to respond to the petition. There is nothing that the respondent can do to stop the divorce or prolong the process.

You can’t stop a divorce. If your spouse wants to proceed then a divorce will occur. In either event, you should contact the attorney at the Law Offices of H. William Edgar for a free initial consultation to discuss your options regarding the divorce process.