How Do I Enforce a Child Support Order?

A child support order is a legal obligation, and there are serious penalties if the non-custodial parent fails to pay. If your former spouse isn’t paying you the child support that was legally ordered, the law stands behind you to enforce the non-custodial parent to pay. At the Law Offices of H. William Edgar, our number one goal is to protect you and your family’s rights. We have been in the divorce and family law business for over 20 years, and our approach has always been crafted to meet our client’s needs. Contact our team of experienced attorneys today, and we will help you obtain the best outcome possible for your case: (888) 251-9618!

Federal Law on Child Support Enforcement

If a parent willfully fails to pay child support that has been ordered by the court, they are subject to federal prosecution if their child lives out state, missing payments exceed $5,000, or the payment is past due for over a year. This type of violation is considered a criminal misdemeanor, so the convicted offender can face fines and even up to 6 months in prison.

What to Do If the Other Parent Doesn’t Pay Custody

If the other parent fails to pay you child support, there are several options you have to enforce them to pay in California, including:

  • Contact your local police department and ask them to enforce the order
  • Contact the district attorney in your county. Look for the Child Abduction and Recovery Unit.
  • File an action for “contempt” with the court. In contempt actions, you ask the court to enforce the order and make a finding that the other parent willfully disobeyed the court order. Talk with an attorney to get help.

Contact Experienced Riverside Child Support Attorneys!

At the Law Offices of H. William Edgar, our core values are to give you legal representation that is honest about your circumstances, while upholding your rights with the utmost integrity. Not getting child support makes it difficult to support your child alone, which is why our Palm Desert child support lawyers are determined to obtain a resolution to your case as quickly as possible. The team at the Law Offices of H. William Edgar are dedicated to guiding you through whatever difficulty you may be facing.

Contact us today at (888) 251-9618 to learn how our Palm Desert divorce attorneys can assist you!